Crystal Bay is a renowned dive site for being one of the only places in the world to observe the giant Sun fish (Mola mola). These massive pelagic fish, measuring about 3 metres in height, swim up from the deep to be cleaned by banner fish (species of butterfly fish). Our chances of seeing this amazing fish are greatest between the months of June and October.
Crystal Bay is a quiet arc of white-grey sand set amid rocky, scrubby outcrops, with a small jagged islet off shore and rugged Nusa Ceningan in the distance. The majestic mola mola, or sunfish, comes to cleanse here, meaning divers and snorkellers are also lured here in season (August and September), but, when the waters are calm, there is good offshore snorkelling year round. The beach is also the site of regular ceremonies so the southern end of the bay can be a bit littered at times with plastic drink cups and offerings. Crystal Bay also doubles as a floodplain you’ll see the flood channel towards the southern end of the beach so perhaps reconsider sunbaking in rainy season.
This dive site is exposed to very strong and unpredictable currents that can carry divers into the blue and far from the dive site, or to unmanageable depths (down current). To safely dive this dive site, divers must follow some basic rules while diving with responsible dive centers.
- Listen carefully and pay attention to the briefing given by your dive guide or instructor, and respect the instructions established
- This dive site is strictly to be dived while accompanied by an experienced, PADI-certified Divemaster or Instructor, and diving without a guide (even if accompanied by a buddy) is prohibited by Indonesian legislation.
- The dives made here must remain “no-decompression” dives. If you are unsure what this means, please notify your dive guide so they can explain this to you.
- Maximum of 4 divers per dive guide; and for less experienced divers, a ratio of 2 divers per dive guide.
- The dive sites and maximum depths are determined by the certification level of the divers, and are at the discretion of the divemaster/instructor, in function of the experience level of the diver, PADI standards, and the conditions of the ocean.
- PADI courses are carried out by PADI-certified, and insured, Instructors.
- The Atlantis International speedboats are fully equipped with First Aid kit, emergency oxygen, and communication system in case of emergency.